Fundraising · Non-profit

How can non-profits better engage supporters to raise funds?

Anshumaan Bansal Initiator & Dreamer @ Startup Mantra

May 23rd, 2016

We are building a platform for non-profits / social initiatives in India to connect with professionals for volunteering & fundraising. A question that was asked by a few organizations was about how they could better engage supports to raise funds. Any suggestions / experiences  will be appreciated. 

Sam Moyers Principal at Sam Moyers Consulting

May 23rd, 2016

People with significant money to donate to charities in The US are inundated with requests. My experience is that they will only donate substantial sums to a cause that resonates with them personally and which they are willing to give time to as well. They want to know the funds are being spent effectively and being involved generates "psychic pay" for the donor. Seek people to your cause first.

Heidi Hancock Searching for sympatico partner in crime

May 23rd, 2016

Nonprofit fundraising is quite a well-populated profession. There are are many organizations, consultants, and professionals providing strategy, operations, and tactical support for causes who are improving their fundraising abilities.

A couple of starting places for "how to's" on donor engagement would be to check out the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Indiana School of Philanthropy, the Chronicle of Philanthropy, and Guidestar. There is a ton of resources available as well as connections with practicing professionals.

Depending on the nature of your platform, it may be helpful to involve an advisor/strategist/partner from the fundraising profession to support your user organizations as you roll out the platform.

You might also consider partnering with a fundraising platform. They also provide resources and technical assistance for fundraising beyond just how to best use their platform. Since online fundraising is intimately tied to social media and communications, you may find some very synergistic relationships that significantly grow both companies.   

Chicke Fitzgerald 𝗘𝗻𝗴𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗮 𝗳𝗼𝗰𝘂𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴. 💡 I zig where others zag #͏z͏i͏g͏w͏i͏t͏h͏c͏h͏i͏c͏k͏e

May 23rd, 2016

I have a product called TravelingToGIVE which taps into the travel done by donors, volunteers, staff and board, as well as their friends and family.  I think that because, as Sam says, donors are inundated with requests for cash, finding a way to earn donations while you sleep is a better way.  If you are interested Anshumaan, I'm happy to talk to you.  I have a two white papers that I've written on this.

Betsy Ehrenberg

May 23rd, 2016

Good Morning - The best fundraising programs focus on the 20% of donors who give huge sums of money or have the capacity to do so. These donors need face-to-face engagement with the organization. Electronic outreach to these 20% for "fundraising" is neither compelling nor productive. As for the remaining 80%, any platform needs to focus on story-telling. The stories come alive with video and have impact with results; the stories need show off the benefits given to those who are served by the non-profit. Therefore the platform needs to make it easy for the organization to create and share videos and "headlines". Hope this helps and if you need more details, just ask. Betsy Ehrenberg "Dedicated and Skilled for Success"

Sidney Sclar SID the SECURITY PRO at

May 23rd, 2016

Contact Sarah at the Corporate Volunteer Council of Montgomery County MD - Sid the Security Pro is a member/Ambassador.