I was was responsible to make 60,000 employees happy, motivated in a decentralized government where strikes had pitted employee against employee.
I was not allowed to give them money. What was I to do?
1. I validated them. I went out and met individuals and ministries. I listened to them.
2. I found out what they valued aside from money. Employees whose values align with their place of business are happier and motivated.
3. I put the " naysayers' in charge of finding out how things CAN happen instead of why they won't!
4. I responded to their need to network with other employees
5. I created a recognition program to honour them
6. I created a Dragon Boat team for Spirit. Dragon boating can be done by 10 yr olds to 90's. I was the oldest on the team . They Won every Race and as employees purchased their own boat- with their own money
7. Other went on builds with Habitat for Humanity
8. I wanted to get these amazing employees out into the community so I encouraged them to become Community Response Volunteers, go into schools and talk about what they do well!
This worked incredibly well!