We are planning to build a multi-sellers E-commerce marketplace with:
1. In the technical / architectural point of view, it would be similar to Amazon. One of the important element is to have something similar to Amazon's ASIN. Each ASIN would be referring to one unique product. So, let's say 5 sellers are selling the same unique product, all 5 sellers will show up in the product detail page of that ASIN.
2. Our marketplace would be emphasizing the unique story of each seller. Therefore, for each profile page, we want seller to be able to customize their own profile page as much as possible. Here are some of the features that we want sellers to be able to do for their profile page:
- Seller can upload their logo
- Seller can type their company description and their story with different font style, font size, font color and etc.
- Seller can upload / embed pictures
- Seller can upload / embed video
Also, if we can provide sellers with an easy URL for their profile page (e.g. http://domain.com/profile/seller001), it would be a wonderful feature.
I did some search and there are so many marketplace related software solutions out there. I am just wondering if someone can give me some pointers and input in order to narrow down to a few good candidates.
I believe that an ASIN is tied to a product, more specifically tied to an item. Even thought the products (by different seller)can be exact same, most time Amazon will auto-assign different ASIN(ASIN duplicates voilate AMZ's TOC, Some Categories maybe different). Also Amazon has parent ASIN and child ASIN. You case maybe doable using UPC, but that will cause problem on private labels or brand registered sellers on Amazon. Note: UPC is expensive for some sellers.
so architectural point of view, you have to do your own.
All e-commerce marketplaces have most of the features you want, just the level of access. Based on the simple description of your project. I suggest Etsy + Pinterest combined solution, and your developer can put them together for you.
You are correct that there are multiple e-commerce platforms available off-the-shelf that are customizable to provide ALL of the features you have highlighted already. They come at different price points, with different use rates in various industries, and with varying levels of support and add-ons for special case uses.
I don't think you'll find the answer on CFL. I can think of three off the top of my head that I found ten years ago that even back then could do all you're asking. I'm quite certain that there are probably more than that number now. Contact some of them. Talk through your concerns and questions. Without being your paid consultant, it's unlikely someone here is going to do a technology assessment and recommendation to the degree that would be useful. Quite a few now have single marketplace and multi-marketplace options for a higher fee.
ASIN, UPC, etcetera are already established standards. Why wouldn't you continue to use an established standard for merchandise?