Copyright · Legal

Recommend? Service Provider Agent for Notification of Claims of Copyright Infringement

Rand Strauss Problem Solver, Software Engineer, Visionary

August 14th, 2016

I was preparing the Terms of Use statement for my website. Looking at the details, I need to provide a
Service Provider Agent for Notification of Claims of Infringement

Any recommendation on a simple, inexpensive one for a startup?
(Yes, I'll ask my lawyer tomorrow, as well. Though I suspect he would have said something if he knew...)

Riaz Karamali Corporate Partner at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP -- Counselor and Cross-Border Dealmaker

August 14th, 2016

Hi Rand,

Great to see you here!  To my knowledge, almost all of my clients do not hire a third party service for this purpose, but simply designate an officer or employee.  That is the most cost-effective way to proceed.  Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.



Maxine Horn CEO, Creative Barcode

August 17th, 2016

Hi Rand
I don't believe it is mandatory to engage a third party copyright infringement / take-down notice service. It may assist visitors to your web site if you made a clear statement about usage of the content contained on your site. And if using imagery owned by your firm to add a Copyright notice or a live IP Tag into your visual assets. Search engine algorithms can result in images being removed from your site and if you have no form of identifier contained in images, users of image searches, have no means to identify owners to clarify usage terms, ownership etc. Likewise if you have images you have licensed in from third parties or images supplied by other owners contained in media stories, it would be helpful to you and to your site visitors if you requested their images were supplied with a Copyright notice (e.g Copyright Fred Smith, 2016) or an IP Tag e.g IP Rights

If site users are aware of your firms IP policies or usage etiquette, it assists to head off cases of accidental infringement