Should I change company name to do business in California?

Philip Yun CEO & Co-founder at XOO Inc.

April 8th, 2014

I incorporated my company in Delaware C-corp with pretty common good name(lucky). The office address is in bay area and my lawyer told me that we need to register as foreign company to protect directors within California. In the process of doing it, I encountered an issue that we might need to change the company name if there is already same or similar corporation in California. I just don't want to give up the name.. but it seems like I have to. 

Are there anyone who had similar experience?

Luis Avila Owner/Fullstack Architect at IdeaNerd LLC

April 8th, 2014

Yes. You are a foreign corporation in CA so the requirement makes sense. Maybe name the company Lucky California or something along those lines. Just a thought.

Mike Stankavich

April 9th, 2014

Could you register a "Doing Business As" in Delaware for a variant of your name and then use the variant name in California, but still keep the good name in Delaware? No idea whether that's allowed or not, but it's worth asking the California. Alternatively, what about a wholly owned California sub-corporation?

Neelesh Vaikhary

April 10th, 2014

As mike mentioned better option is to rename the  corporation and use current name (the one you like) as DBA (Fictitious name) . DBA names are county specific, so if you are not doing business in the same county you might use it without any problem. There is no legal protection for DBA names though, if you want it you be protected you will have to trademark it.