1. Finding good candidates/employees
* Use your network and let everyone know you're hiring.
* Find candidates on LinkedIn
* Use college job boards (we hired quite a few from UC Berkeley)
* Try Angel List jobs board
2. Selecting them
* Have them do a questionnaire/mini-project to test their skills/fit for the role
* Do a phone screen as a mini-interview + clarifications on the questionnaire
* The check references and ask specific questions like "would you rank this person in the top 10%, 25%. 50%"-hire the top 10%. And if you had an opening would you hire this person back without interviewing anyone else.
* Then bring them in for a longer interview
I've written about our process here: http://magoosh.com/blog/magoosh-hiring-process/ and we link to this process on every job board.
We also hire most people on a 3-month contract (with full benefits, etc.) And then re-hire them for an indefinite period. Some people will balk at the 3-month contract and won't be interested, so it's a gamble.