I would recommend working towards being able to demonstrate, not only tell, that you are passionate about web development and startups. In order to do that you need to start building stuff now. Some ideas to start doing:
- I personally like this one: http://www.hashtagstartup.co
- talk to people in those channels, and also get out and talk to people in person
- find a designer that could complement your skills and come up with an idea and build it, end to end, face and solve problems, put your passion to work.
- learn, learn, and learn so much that people will want to work with you...
- work on open source projects..contribute to it, use them, help them be better.
- Finally, respect your parents and help them understand that times have changed a lot now, cousins are not always right, and today, you do not need to secure a job in a big corporation to be financially stable, specially if you do not want to.
I hope it helps think about some options to start doing today